Costa Rica is known for it’s biological diversity, this country is one of the most biologically wealthiest country in the world!!
With only 0.3% of the world’s land mass and 5% of the world’s species, Costa Rica is known as one of the best destination for ecotourism.
The area where our garden is located called Sarapiqui and this area is very rich in biodiversity, there are 3000 species of plants, more than 450 species of birds, more than 40 species of anphibian, more than 80 species of reptiles and more than 100 species of mammals!!
This area is ideal for nature enthusiasts, bird watcher, photographer and who love adventure!!
There are about 240 species of mammals in Costa Rica (About 6% of world’s Mammals)and most of them are bats.
Sarapiqui region has about 100 species of mammals.
We have several species of mammals which our visitors frequently see during our guided tour in Pierella Ecological Garden.
Species that visitors frequently see in our garden are:
1. 2 types of sloth (Three and Two-Toed Sloth)
2. Several species of bats, especially iconic specie of our garden, Honduran White Bat (Ectophylla alba)
3. Nine-Banded Armadillo (Dasypus novemcinctus) (Especially during the night tour)
Besides these species, you might be able to see Mantled Howler Monkey(Alouatta palliata), Mexican hairy porcupine(Coendou mexicanus),Raccon(Procyon lotor)and other animals in our garden!!
Costa Rica is very bird rich contry, nearly 900 species have been recorded in our country!!
This number is more than the number has been recorded in United States and Canada conbined!!
In our garden, about 100 species of birds have been recorded.
NOTE: During August to around October, various kinds of migratory species come to Costa Rica from North America.Species like Summer Tanager and warblers, vireos, flycathers can be seen during this season.
The outstanding species that we have in our garden such as:
1. Great Green Macaw (Ara anbiguus)
2. American Pygmy Kingfisher (Chloroceryle aenea)
3. White-Whiskered Puffbird (Malacoptila panamensis)
4. Rufous-Tailed Jacamar (Galbula ruficauda)
5. Chestnut-Mandibled Toucan (Ramphastos swainsonii)
6. Keel-Billed Toucan (Ramphastos sulfuratus)
7. Collared Aracari (Pteroglossus torquatus)
8. Cinnamon Woodpecker (Celeus Loricatus)
9. Violaceous Trogon (Trogon violaceus)
10. Common Pauraque (Nyctidromus albicollis)
11. Montezuma Orpendola (Psarocolius montezuma)
Note:If you want more information about birds we have, please check the gallery of our website or visit youtube channel!!
More than 200 species of amfibians are discoverd in Costa Rica.
We have various kinds of beatiful species in our garden such as:
1. Red-Eyes Tree Frog (Agalychnis callidryas)
2. Strawberry Poison Dart Frog (Oophaga pumilio)
3. Green And Black Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates auratus)
4. Splendid Leaf Frog or Tiger Frog (Agallychnis calcarifer) (Depending on the season, you might be able to see this beatiful frog as well!!)
Costa Rica is ideal place for Lizard or snake lovers!! There are more than 200 species of reptiles have been discovered in the country.
These species of reptiles that we have in our garden such as:
1. Green Iguana (Iguana iguana)
2. Green Basilisk (Basiliscus pulmifrons)
3. Brown Basilisk (Basiliscus vittatus)
4. Helmeted Basilisk (Corytophanes cristatus)
5. Boa Constrictor (Boa constrictor)
Insects are the most diverse group of animals in our planet.
There are more than 350,000 species of this group have been discovered (including about 1700 species of butterfly and more than 15,000 species of moth)
Tropical rainforest of Sarapiqui is home to numerous kinds of insects and you will be able to see various kinds of this beatiful and interesting creature during your visit to our garden!!
For example you might be able to see following insects:
1. Leaf Katydid (Tettigoniidae)
2. Stick Insects (Phamastodea)
3. Leafcutter Ant (Genera Atta)
4. Rhinoceros Beetle (Megasoma elephas)
5. Harlequin Beetle (Genus Acrocinus)
We also have butterfly garden in our property so you will see beatiful species of butterfly that we cultivate in our garden.
We have species of butterfly such as:
1. Blue Morpho (Morpho peleides)
2. Owl Butterfly (Genus Caligo)
3. Monarch Butterfly (Danaus Plexippus)
4. Heliconius Butterfly (Genus Heliconius)
5. Malachite (Siproeta stelenes)
6. Catonephele (Catonephele numilia)
7. Archaeoprepona demophon
8. Pierella hervetia
Note: Species of butterfly that we have in our butterfly garden vary depending on the season.To get further information about species of butterfly that we have, please contact us!!
Plants and trees are fundamental for every kinds of animals including us, human being.
Costa Rica is very rich at biodiversity thanks to our rich plant diversity.
In Costa Rica, there are more than 9000 species of flowering species discovered at the moment.
In Sarapiqui region, there are about 2000 species of plants and 800 species of trees.
You can see various kinds of beatiful plants which are very important for wildlife of our garden.